Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Girl Who Chased the Moon Blog Post

I am about halfway through The Girl Who Chased the Moon. I have noticed that there are many symbols throughout the book.

First of all, the most important symbol in the story so far is the "light." Every night, Emily, the main character of the story, sits out on the balcony and waits for the "light," which is a mysterious light that visits  Emily's backyard. She doesn't know what it is. It's always been one of the unsolved mysteries of Mullaby, North Carolina.

I think the light represents the mysteries that surround Emily's mother. Emily doesn't know anything about her mother. Every day, she tries to find out more information about Dulcie from neighbors, family friends, and people in town. No one will tell her anything about her. No one will explain what the "light" is either. Emily continues to be confused, and just like she waits for the light, she is waiting for answers about her family.

Another important symbol in the book is cake. Julia, Emily's neighbor, took over her father's restaurant after he died. The restaurant has become well known because of the excellent cakes Julia makes. I think the cake represents hope for Julia. She started baking cakes after she met Sawyer in high school. He gave her hope. She continues to bake cakes in the hopes of finding happiness again.

No comments:

Post a Comment