Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A Bleeding Heart Exposed

In the painting The Two Fridas, Frida Kahlo has painted two women whose faces are identical, but their clothes are different. The "Frida" on the left is wearing an intricate, white lace dress. Her heart is exposed, allowing us to see the inside of her heart. Kahlo may be trying to show that you must look deep into her heart to see what her life is truly like and what kind of person she is. I also noticed that she is  holding a scissor, showing that she "cut" the artery. She's wearing a white dress, which normally signifies purity and innocence. Her dress covers more of her body, even though she seems more open.

The other Frida is wearing a blue, yellow, green, and gray dress. Her heart is also exposed, but you cannot see the inside of it. Maybe she is trying to say that she's afraid of "exposing" herself to others. An interesting thing is that her dress covers less of her body, but she appears to be more closed off.

I think that the purpose of this painting is that Kahlo is trying to express the idea that she has two sides to her. She has an "outer shell" and an "inner shell." The inner shell is where you'll find the layers of her experiences, feelings, and thoughts. The outer shell may represent how she appears on the outside (if you knew nothing about her).

I believe that everyone has two sides to them. Sometimes, people are open to others and share their lives with each other. But sometimes, people are afraid to open up to others and prefer to "blend in with the background". They are afraid of sharing their lives and experiences.

Which Frida are you?

http://www.terminartors.com/files/artworks/1/5/4/15402/Kahlo_Frida-The_Two_Fridas.jpg

7 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with you! Personally, I love that painting. The last paragraph of your post is exactly what I thought. I agree that nobody has just one personality. Our moods change. I think your thoughts about her inner and outer shell are interesting. That isn't what I would have thought immediately, but it's true. This painting clearly doesn't only have one meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great analysis! Along with how they are connected physically, I think the fact that they are holding hands speaks metaphorically a little as well. Her two sides unite and form her, but when she cuts and artery, she spills blood all over her innocent white dress. Your post made me think a lot about it! You're a great writer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like your theory a lot. i also think that she is was trying to show that she does have two sides. she may appear one way but she really feels another way. I think this is another one of her self portraits. how she portrays herself and how she wants people to portray her. she's not afraid to show anyone how she feels but at the same time she wants to keep some of her feelings to herself. either way i think it was still nice to see her and the her other self.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post Eleni! I loved the comparisons you drew from this painting! Also, great writing! Also, I love the way you end the post with a question!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I loved your thoughts and comprehension of the painting! Great really thought provoking writing! Also, I loved your question at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you structured the blog post like a mirror, which seems to be the theme of the painting. Ending with with a question made me stop and think about how people view each other. It reminds me of someone hiding their dark secrets from everyone, including themselves. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize it was structured like a mirror! :)

      Delete