Adele has written many remarkable songs. Her songs are like a “gateway” to her heart. She doesn’t hide her feelings and isn’t afraid to pour her heart out. For that, I admire her. I think “Set Fire to the Rain” is one of her strongest songs. This rhythmical song describes her feelings of mourning after a break-up with her boyfriend. In this song, Adele uses imagery and symbolism to represent her feelings about her broken heart.
Firstly, the title of the poem is worth exploring. When I first glanced at it, I thought it was a peculiar name. But I’ve slowly started to look at the words more deeply and have made some interesting discoveries. I’ve always thought of rain as a good thing. For some people, it is calming or soothing. It leaves a distinct, sweet smell, which many people, including myself, enjoy. It can be associated with happiness. Rain could be referring to her feelings of joy when she was in love with someone. Fire could be referring to burning or destroying those old feelings. She wanted nothing more to do with the relationship, so she tried to destroy it. Setting fire to the rain, which is both imagery and symbolism, could describe how she chose for her relationship to end.
Secondly, Adele uses imagery to represent her feelings of weakness.
“My hands, they were strong
But my knees were far too weak
To stand in your arms
Without falling to your feet”
She may appear strong, but on the inside, she isn’t. Maybe she felt a sense of pride when she was in love. Someone loved her back and made her feel stronger. But she also may have depended on the person too much and he let her fall when she needed him most. When someone becomes too dependent on another person, they can’t look out for themselves.
“I set fire to the rain
And I threw us into the flames
Where I felt something die
‘Cause I knew that was the last time, the last time oh”
Adele has proven through the song “Set Fire to the Rain” that some people get carried away with love. She used imagery and symbolism to represent this theme perfectly. Love is both a curse and a blessing. The title represents this idea. Love can make people feel like they’re on top of the world. It can also feel like a burden. Adele may have depended too much on her love interest and paid a heavy price for it. I think “Set Fire to the Rain” serves as a warning to people. Always stay true to yourself and never depend on someone too much. They may end up letting you down.
Wow, your ideas are really true! I always looked at the song from the other point of view, where rain is either a bad thing she's getting rid of. I guess I'm just a glass half-empty kind of person. Adele is an amazing artist and I'm glad I got to read such an in-depth analysis of her work. Excellent Job! :P
ReplyDelete