Monday, April 2, 2012

Forgiveness- Not As Easy As it Looks

Who doesn't know Taylor Swift? She's been a popular country music artist for years. Her most recent album is "Speak Now." When I first listened to the songs from this album, I wasn't crazy about them. I thought many of them had similar melodies and meanings. I now realize that I didn't listen closely enough. Each one is unique and tells a different story or theme. I love the song "Innocent," which is one of her less famous songs. It immediately caught my attention. I decided to do a little bit of research about this song. Many people claim that "Innocent" is a song written about her feud with Kanye West at the VMA's. It is hard to know whether she forgives him or not. Many people say she is acting "passive-aggressive". I definitely agree with this statement.

The song starts off very powerful. 

"Guess you really did it this time
Left yourself in your war path
Lost your balance on a tight rope
Lost your mind trying to get it back" 

I love these lyrics! If in fact she is talking about Kanye West, I think Swift is trying to say that he strayed from the "right path". He made a poor decision by criticizing her and lost his sense of good judgement. And even though he tried to feel remorse for what he had done, it was inexcusable. In this verse, it seems like Swift isn't angry at him, but disappointed and ashamed of him. He said some mean things, publicly, and humiliated her. 

She then goes on to say in the chorus:

"It’s alright, just wait and see
Your string of lights is still bright to me
Oh, who you are is not where you’ve been
You’re still an innocent"

Based on the lyrics of the chorus, it appears that she has forgiven him for his poor actions. She says that his "string of lights is still bright to me". Even though he humiliated her, she still sees his true character. He is not mean or critical. More importantly, she won't judge him for his one mistake. "Who you are is not where you've been" may be describing his standpoint in this situation. He was criticized endlessly for his actions. But she doesn't think this one bad decision defines him as a person.

My favorite verse is:

"Time turns flames to embers
You’ll have new Septembers
Every one of us has messed up too
Minds change like the weather
I hope you remember
Today is never too late to… be brand new."

I think "Time turns flames to embers" refers to the idea that this feud can patched over. The tension between them will eventually die out. It isn't permanent. She is also saying that everyone has made mistakes. There is always room for forgiveness. She is leaving him the possibility of "starting over" and giving him another chance.

It is clear that Swift is feeling a mix of complicated emotions. She is forgiving him, but dissing him at the same time. She blames his actions on that fact that he's still growing up and learning. I think she is saying that she's being the better person by reaching out to him and not holding his words against him. And does she make a clear jab at his age. 

"It’s okay, life is a tough crowd
Thirty two and still growing up now"

She might be trying to say that life as a celebrity is hard. It makes you do things you may regret. But she is younger and knowns better than him.

Taylor Swift presents many themes in her song "Innocent". She is trying to be the better person by opening up to him and forgiving him for his actions. She believes in second chances. I think this is a very good thing to believe in. Sometimes the best thing you can do for a person is give them a  second chance. People's initial actions aren't always the ones they meant to do. People make mistakes. It's natural.  

2 comments:

  1. Having had hearn this song before (and not liking Taylor Swift very much) I had no idea that her words could mean so much to her and the rest of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, Eleni! I hadn't heard this song before but I gave it a listen and I liked it! Everything you said was completely true!!! Forgiving is really hard to do sometimes though, and I'm surprised she forgave him for doing such a mean thing like that.

    Excellent post!!!!! You really went in depth!!!!

    ReplyDelete