Monday, October 24, 2011

Extra Credit Blog Post-World on Fire

After watching World on Fire, my perception of "money-spending" in this world has completely changed. Before watching this video, I had always taken money for granted. Buying a shirt for $25.00 didn't seem like a big deal. Once I saw World on Fire, I learned that money is more valuable than we take it for. I learned many facts that made me question the movie/video/music industries.

For example, the cost of make-up and hair for one day of shooting a video costs $5000.00. This amount of money could cover the costs of schooling for 145 girls in Afghanistan. Many children in the world are deprived of education. Many children WANT to learn, but they can't. They have to work for hours in order to make money for their families. They often don't get paid very much.

Parents make many sacrifices for their children so they can be educated and have the opportunities there are to offer. For example, the video shows a woman from Ghana who works two jobs for 16 hours seven days a week. She does this so she can pay the $200.00 fee for schooling for her son. At night, she sells oranges for $0.02 each. This shows true sacrifice.

Also, many people don't have basic necessities they need in life. Many people are starving, homeless, and have no clean drinking water. They are exposed to more disease and sickness. With all the money that industries spend to make movies and videos, that money could be used to change a person's life. And not just one life, but hundreds, thousands, millions.

I will NEVER take money for granted ever again. Each and every day, I will be thankful that I have clothes, food, water, a safe home, a good education, and a loving community. I really want to help people in other countries who aren't able to live a safe and stable life. I want to help children. I want to help elderly people. I want to help animals. I want to help the environment. I want to help the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment