"Maybe, too, it was because I knew that in the end, the words, they'd find a home on the pages of my journal, the only other place I felt the same freedom as with dancing. And if I was being completely honest, I liked being able to keep the actual emotion to myself. Kept it... special." (pg. 2)
Soledad, the main character in the book When the Stars Go Blue, is an ambitious dancer. She dreams of being a professional dancer one day. She is very passionate about it. She describes dancing as feeling like freedom. Often, people ask Soledad why she devotes her life to dance. She doesn't know how to describe it. The only way she can is by dancing. Dancing is a way of expressing your thoughts through movements. She has a connection with it.
But Soledad seems scared to admit her connection with dance. I think she feels protective of it. Maybe Soledad feels that if she lets people know how she feels, it will no longer seem "special." This is her lifelong dream. She doesn't want to let it go. I think she feels that dance belongs to her. She doesn't want to give away all her years of hard work.
This proves that Soledad is scared to take chances. She stays in her comfort zone. She needs to take a risk. You can only overcome your fears by facing them. If you shy away from them, your fear will only grow stronger. Soledad is strong. She needs to open up to people. She doesn't trust others. She needs to be around people who will influence her positively and serve as role models for her.
No comments:
Post a Comment