A Northern Light tells the story of sixteen-year-old Mattie Gokey who dreams of going to college and studying literature, in the hopes of becoming a writer. But she is confined to her family's farm in the "North Woods" of New York, where she is forced to run a chaotic household, deal with the loss of her mother, and the disappearance of her older brother. After being offered a college scholarship to Barnard College in New York City, Mattie must choose between her family and her life's ambitions.
There is often a saying: Do you follow your head or your heart? In other words, do you choose what is sensible/practical, or what you believe is the right thing to do? I truly believe in following your heart. While it is fair to say that choosing the sensible thing is wise, if you do not fully support the choices you make, is their a point in making a decision at all? The choices we make define us as people. (I always try to follow my first instinct.)
While reading the book, I wanted Mattie to follow her dreams and attend Barnard College. I knew she wanted this too. But she felt obliged to stay home and tend to her family and the farm. Mattie knew her sisters would be okay without her, but not her father-the man who no longer smiled or spoke with a soft, caressing voice. The man who turned cold and closed off from the rest of the world. Mattie didn't have the heart to leave him. She shouldn't let anyone take advantage of her self-lessness. She has a knack for writing, a talent that shouldn't be wasted.
My gut feeling was that Mattie would choose to stay with her family. Once again, I was completely caught off guard. Her final decision was to work at the Glenmore Hotel and earn money to go live in NYC to attend Barnard College. I couldn't be happier for Mattie!
I like how you gave a short paragraph about what is going on in Mattie's life. It helps show what she has to decide between. I like how you also gave us your inference which showed that you truly understood the book. Good job :)
ReplyDelete