Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Sensing the Dead- A Gift or a Curse?

The Body Finder tells the compelling story of teenager Violet Ambrose. Although the plot may seem like a typical high school story, the author has added a twist that makes it unlike any other "high school book" I've read before. Violet has the power to sense dead bodies and its killer. She never thought it would be a useful ability, that is until a serial killer has begun terrorizing her town. Violet must learn to embrace her power and herself.

Violet doesn't have a lot of faith or confidence in herself. When the most popular girl in school asks Jay, her best friend, to go to the prom with her, Violet is beside herself. She often wonders, Does Jay think I'm pretty? Is he in love with me? Would he ever like someone like me? Am I a match for Lissie Adams? It was upsetting to read about Violet's degrading thoughts. She should feel good about herself and not have to compare herself to others.

Violet also learns to embrace her powers. Most children would not go digging for dead bodies of animals in the forest or even their own backyard. But not Violet. Starting at a very young age, Violet often explored the forest, in search of dead animals. Violet calls herself a freak. She is not like most people and she wants to be like others. She cannot accept the fact that she is different.


But is it bad to be different? This question is not just expressed in books. People in the "real world" ask themselves this question everyday. Is different a good thing or a bad thing? People may associate the word different with other things, such as being a social outcast, weird, bizarre, abnormal. What about unique? I would never want to be like everyone else, unless someone possesses good qualities that I would like to have. Violet is a very special character who could do great things if she just gave herself a chance.

1 comment:

  1. The way you wrote this blogpost makes me want to run to the store and buy the book. I really like how you questioned if being different is good or bad. Good job!!!<3

    ReplyDelete